- Telephone 0141 357 3033
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 12.30–9.30pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch); £12.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.wudon-noodlebar.co.uk
Just up from Kelvinbridge, this stylish West End noodle bar offers Japanese favourites with a Pan-Asian twist.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Caterpillar, eye of the tiger, Japanese rose – there’s a range of intriguingly named dishes at Wudon, a design-conscious Japanese restaurant with Korean and Thai touches. Staff are committed to introducing customers new to Japanese food to its delights and intricacies. Forget afternoon tea and champagne and go for a sharing platter of sushi chosen from a range of 27 including ‘caterpillar’ – an inside-out sushi roll with green beans and king prawn tempura layered with avocado. Team the sushi with plum wine or a Woo Woo cocktail and finish with a dessert such as hot chocolate rolls – nutella chocolate in pastry with coconut and chocolate chip ice-cream. If that all sounds too girlie then also on offer are vast and sustaining bowls of noodles and rice with freshly cooked ingredients, such as kimchi udon – thick fried noodles in a spicy Korean kimchi sauce with vegetables, cleverly flavoured with a hint of orange and topped with a choice from meat, seafood or tofu.
- High point: Inventive twists on Japanese standards
- Low point: Chewy squid with minimal taste
- Notable dish: Kimchi udon
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle