- Telephone 0141 331 1980
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight; Sun 2–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5pm–6.30pm; Fri/Sat 3pm–6.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.50
- Website www.assams.co.uk
A spacious restaurant that offers good-value food in a more upmarket setting than the prices would suggest, Assam’s is conveniently located for office workers and shoppers to take advantage of its many special offers. It’s decorated in restful neutrals with varied textures of brown contrasting with the crisp white tablecloths and silver settings, and a partitioned mezzanine which looks out on the street below. The menu is full of traditional North Indian favourites, familiar to any curry-lover. It may be a safe, steadfast menu but it is delivered via a number of formats to cater to all appetites – there’s a set lunch, à la carte, banquet menus for four or more diners, daily specials, tapas-sized plates, and a buffet. Highlights include naans the size of a duvet but with a light, crispy texture, and homemade mango chutney with a twist of cinnamon.
- Delivery: £2+
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Music varies from traditional to pop
- Live entertainment: Sun and Fri, guitarist sings 70s and 80s hits
- Capacity: 92
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £2.50, £3.50 fizz corkage
Reviews & features
Area guide to the Glasgow Film Festival17 Feb 2011
Kirstin Innes helps you bring the movies to life with our GFF-themed area guide
If you're interested in the Beyond Bollywood, Superheroes in Glasgow, Ceol's Craic or Fashion in Film strands, this is the Glasgow guide for you.