- Telephone 0131 229 1537
- Seasonal times Open on Sunday during August.
- Food served Mon 5.30–10.30pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sat 12.30–3pm, 5.30–10.45pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5.30–6.45pm
- Average price Tues–Fri £11; Sat £13 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.passornthai.com
Elegant Thai successfully placing a new spin on traditional favourites.
Passorn’s original operation has been popular with Tollcross locals for eight years and has a more relaxed feel than their newer city centre brasserie. The black and white décor is low-key, putting all the emphasis on the food, while an extensive menu mixes Thai standards with more inventive dishes. Weekly deliveries of fresh vegetables and spices from Thailand combine with local Scottish produce to create beautifully presented signature dishes. Angel curry is sirloin steak topped with a red curry sauce, laced with chillies and served on a bed of crispy potatoes, while pla samun pri places crispy monkfish pieces in a light turmeric and coconut sauce with notes of lemongrass and garlic. If you fancy a takeaway you’ll have to go elsewhere; despite requests Passorn feel they can only guarantee the quality of their dining experience within their restaurants.
- High point: Zingy herbs and spices
- Low point: Sombre décor
- Notable dish: Angel curry, Mr and Mrs prawns
- Provides: Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Thai easy listening
- Capacity: 39
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £21 per bottle