- Telephone 0131 229 1537
- Seasonal times Festival: open Sunday.
- Food served Mon 5.30–10.30pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sat 12.30–3pm, 5.30–10.45pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5.30–6.45pm
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.passornthai.com
Elegant Thai successfully placing a new spin on traditional favourites.
Serving a refined, modern take on classic dishes and flavours, it’s easy to see why regulars return time and time again to Passorn. Simple interior design gives the period cornicing its dues and the whole space exudes elegance. Owner Cindy Sirapassorn takes inspiration from the food she grew up with in Bangkok and with restaurant-owning parents, delicious Thai cuisine is in her blood. Passorn’s signature dishes showcase their sophisticated approach to Cindy’s family recipes: pla chao wang, a salad of crispy seabass, is spicy, sweet, beautifully presented and comes direct from her parents’ kitchen. A starter of plump scallops are seared then served in their shells, swimming in a fragrant coconut and lemongrass sauce. The angel curry is a thick sirloin steak cooked to your liking then smothered in red curry sauce (it may take all your willpower not to lick the plate clean). The wine list is carefully chosen and the cocktails are limited but expertly made. The dessert menu is sparse so do indulge in both starters and mains, no need to save room for pudding.
- Private dining: Up to 11 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix of staff pics
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £21.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best Asian restaurants in Edinburgh16 Apr 2018
Top spots in the city for Chinese hot pot, Thai street food and more
The exciting variety that makes up Far Eastern cuisine is now more accessible in Edinburgh. Where there were once only a couple of options for authentic South-East Asian flavours, you'll now find a plethora of choices. From fine dining Thai to bustling…