- Telephone 0131 447 0377
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat 9am–5pm; Sun 10am–5pm.
- Average price £6.25 with filled sandwich, £6.95 with filled roll (foccacia, seeded ciabatta, roll, wrap or bagel)
- Website www.rocketcafe.co.uk
Family-friendly Morningside café with an eclectic menu of homemade dishes for breakfast and lunch.
Rocket Café has a relaxed vibe from the moment you enter, with staff who are friendly and efficient no matter how busy it gets. Wooden tables and school chairs host a mix of families, regulars and the local office crowd. The menu is sizeable, keen to cater for vegans, vegetarians and with plenty of gluten-free options. Breakfast offers French toast, rancheros and specials like the benedict – streaky bacon, hollandaise, soft fried egg and spinach on ciabatta. For lunch, sandwiches, bagels, burritos, nachos and salads are all freshly prepared. The Wahaca club sandwich is a winner, crammed with chicken breast, chorizo, mayo, guacamole, mozzarella, tomato and fresh leaves, served with tortilla chips, sour cream and salsa. A range of sweet treats and baked goods are also available, with the gluten-free orange polenta cake particularly good.
- High point: Lots of great choice for breakfast and lunch
- Low point: Need to get in quick to grab a table
- Notable dish: Wahaca club sandwich
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Capacity: 29
- Open since: 2008
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…