Café Nom de Plume
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 478 1372
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–10pm; Sun noon–10pm.
A warm welcome and a world-travelling menu awaits diners at this popular café.
Sometimes cafés can feel as though someone has spent a lot of time and money trying to manufacture the authenticity that this popular, deceptively large, spot has in spades. Opened around ten years ago (and possibly not redecorated since) the red walls and eccentric clutter of paraphernalia (toy robots, framed maps, fairy lights, zig zag curtains, plastic sunflowers) make for a warm welcome. Run by the same people behind the Regent pub, the menu takes a globetrotting approach with hearty pumpkin and red onion tagine available alongside spicy Singapore noodles, salty French onion soup or vegetarian haggis, neeps and tatties. With a menu that broad, corners have to be cut somewhere, so a few of the cakes and trimmings have been bought in, but it’s all served by relaxed, friendly staff who don’t mind if you bring your canine friends with you, or take a window seat through the back to catch up on some work on your laptop.
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: April 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12 per bottle