Café Nom de Plume
- Telephone 0131 478 1372
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–10pm; Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
A warm welcome and a world-travelling menu awaits diners at this popular café.
A burst of colour welcomes visitors to this cheerful café, not only from the vivid yellow walls but also from the rich, hearty food served up to as diverse a crowd of diners as you’ll find anywhere in Edinburgh. Deceptively larger than its discrete doorway suggests, stepping inside leaves the ordinary city far behind. Food is a world tour of tastes. There’s a French onion soup as dark as burnt toffee; a spicy of goulash laden with hunks of beef and chorizo; Malaysian curry stuffed with chickpeas, okra and beans; and a creamy dollop of smoked mackerel pâté. The specials come and go while standards such as fish pie, mince and tatties, lasagne and chilli stick around all year. Vegan and vegetarian options abound and there’s a well-stocked bar with a full house of beers, wines and spirits.
- High point: A menu that travels the world
- Low point: No place for children under five
- Notable dish: Beef and chorizo goulash
- Private dining: Up to 12 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Like the menu, a bit of everything
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: April 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £12 per bottle