- Telephone 0131 240 1666
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10am–midnight; Thu–Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10pm; Fri 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sat 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sun 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thurs 6–7pm,
- Average price £25 (set lunch); £33 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17
- Website www.quorvuscollection.com/gandv-hotel-edinburgh/…
Colourful, contemporary Italian restaurant located within the G&V Hotel on the Royal Mile.
The self-appointed bustling soul of the uber-stylish G&V hotel dishes up a deluxe, contemporary interpretation of traditional Italian fare in a sumptuously designed dining space, all saturated with eye-boggling colour and pattern. Bolognan chef Mattia Camorani has constructed an appealing and flexible menu that allows for, say, a quick bowl of hand-made tagliatelle al ragu with a cheeky glass of Valpolicella, through to a full-blown tasting menu with matching wines. There’s some good stuff to be had including a hearty dish of conchiglie pasta with wild boar ragu — a deeply meaty bowlful that’s finished with a trangressive but welcome grating of smoked cheddar. A starter of ox tongue and pickles is less successful – the paper-thin tongue is a little grey, lacklustre and overwhelmed by its companions. Things look up with a tagliata though — perfectly cooked ribeye, sliced on a bed of peppery rocket and topped with sweet shavings of Parmigiano. It’s all rather pretty too, in keeping with its stylish, high-end home.
- High point: Styling it up with chic pasta and handsome homemade breads
- Low point: The environs and service could be a little hotel-ish for some
- Notable dish: Courgette fries
Cucina presents exquisitely authentic cooking that has been inspired by classic Italian cuisine. Alive with brilliant colour, Cucina at Hotel is relaxed by day and comes alive with a vibrant ambience in the evening. The bar serves the signature Cucina afternoon tea with traditional homemade scones, Italian deluxe finger sandwiches and Italian delicacies.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 40-45 (also for groups of 14 and 16)
- No. overnight rooms: 136
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chill out and easy ambient
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £21 per bottle