- Telephone 0131 240 1666
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10am–midnight; Thu–Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10pm; Fri 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sat 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sun 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times 6–7pm
- Average price £15.95 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17
- Website www.quorvuscollection.com/gandv-hotel-edinburgh/…
Colourful, contemporary Italian restaurant located within the G&V Hotel on the Royal Mile.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
If you like your Italian restaurants trattoria-style – all terracotta walls and spaghetti with meatballs – don't go to Cucina. Here, the food is as modern and clean-cut as the space itself (it's located in the oh-so-swanky G&V hotel), and every dish is an intricately designed adventure in contemporary Italian cooking. Starters of note include scallops with cauliflower panacotta and braised octopus salad, while mains include pan-fried guinea fowl and stone bass in saffron sauce. There's also a small, but refined, selection of risotto and pasta. The food offers its own take on classic dishes: tagliatelle is served with pork ragù, not simply tomatoes or spinach; while venison comes with potato layer cake and black cabbage. And while the restaurant itself is almost intimidatingly well-designed, with interesting modern art prints lining the brightly-coloured walls, the service is impeccable. From the second the maître d’ takes your coat at the door, to the moment the waiter drops off a heart-shaped sweet treat with the bill, dining at Cucina is a stylish affair indeed.
- High point: Interesting dishes made from high-quality ingredients
- Low point: Can be a little pricey
- Notable dish: Stone bass
Cucina presents exquisitely authentic cooking that has been inspired by classic Italian cuisine. Alive with brilliant colour, Cucina at Hotel is relaxed by day and comes alive with a vibrant ambience in the evening. The bar serves the signature Cucina afternoon tea with traditional homemade scones, Italian deluxe finger sandwiches and Italian delicacies.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 40-45 (also for groups of 14 and 16)
- No. overnight rooms: 136
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £21 per bottle