- Telephone 0131 240 1666
- Bar open Sun–Wed 10am–midnight; Thu–Sat 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 6.30–10am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10pm; Sat 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–11pm; Sun 7–11am, 12.30–3pm, 6–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Daily 6–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £19.95 (two courses) £25 (three courses) plus wine pairing £12/£18
- Website www.quorvuscollection.com/gandv-hotel-edinburgh/…
Contemporary Italian restaurant in the G&V Hotel, boasting slick service and a strong local sourcing policy
Cucina has retained much of the colour that was the hallmark of its original owner (the Missoni fashion house) and Italy still dominates the impressive wine list. However, the menu shows signs of an increasingly Scottish bias. Sourcing is a big focus for executive chef Andrew McQueen whose aim is to have his whole menu created from local produce. As a result there are fewer traditional Italian dishes but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Among the pasta and risotto options is ravioli filled with haggis, served in a carrot and sauterne sauce, a delicious fusion of flavours. The Scottish influence is particularly strong in the mains, where tender slow-cooked beef shin falls apart at the touch of a fork and sits comfortably alongside un-Italian crisp root vegetables and creamed potatoes. Desserts include the ubiquitous tiramisu but a chocolate pavé with peanut butter and peanut brittle is a tempting finale that adds to the sense that Cucina’s direction of travel is away from the country that gave the place its name.
Cucina presents exquisitely authentic cooking that has been inspired by classic Italian cuisine. Alive with brilliant colour, Cucina at Hotel is relaxed by day and comes alive with a vibrant ambience in the evening. The bar serves the signature Cucina afternoon tea with traditional homemade scones, Italian deluxe finger sandwiches and Italian delicacies.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: 40-45 (also for groups of 14 and 16)
- No. overnight rooms: 136
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Music chosen to go with food
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £22 per bottle