- Telephone 0141 258 2326
- Opening times Tue–Sun 5–9.30pm. Closed Mon
- Food served Tue–Thu 5.30pm–9.30pm; Fri/Sat 5pm–10.30pm; Sun 5.30–9.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7.30pm, Fri/Sat 5–6.30pm
- Average price £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.nur-restaurant.co.uk
Aromatic and homemade Egyptian cuisine, complete with belly-dancing and shisha pipes located just over the Clyde from the city centre.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Located ten minutes away from Central Station, just over the Clyde on Bridge Street, what Nur lacks in glamourous location it makes up for in high-quality, homemade Egyptian cuisine. Each dish is freshly prepared and beautifully presented – the rice, for example, cooked with orzo comes in the shape of a pyramid, a stylish touch. Basterma and egg, an unusual dish of smoked beef, egg, butter and spices makes for a memorable starter, as do the fava beans with spicy sausage. Smother the flatbread with baba ghanoush and hummus, before moving on to the mains. The chicken and spinach tagine is slow-cooked to perfection while the chicken kebab is marinated in a rich blend of herbs, spices and lemon. Finish off with a rich Egyptian coffee and a slice or two of baklava – delicate layers of filo pastry with chopped nuts, orange blossom syrup and ice-cream. Nur has a cosy mezzanine level, perfect for private functions, decorated in dark and warming colours, with belly dancing and cooking classes also available.
- High point: Homemade tahina and baba ghanoush dips
- Low point: No alcohol licence – so BYOB
- Notable dish: Chicken shawerma
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Traditional Egyptian
- Live entertainment: Belly dancer on last Saturday of the month, Singer/guitarist once a month
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2009
- BYOB: £3.95, 75p beer corkage (No alcohol licence)