- Telephone 0141 258 2326
- Opening times Tue–Sun 5–9.30pm.
- Food served Tue–Thu 5.30–9.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm; Sun 5.30–9.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5–7.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.nur-restaurant.co.uk
An enchanting Egyptian restaurant just south of the Clyde dishing out champion tagines and more.
Behind a quaint facade of a historic building on Bridge Street lies not a portal into Victorian Glasgow, but a lush and mesmerising Egyptian world. Nur has a capacious interior, but with dimmed lights and small, widely scattered tables, it achieves a spellbinding and intimate atmosphere. With a mezzanine atop the ground floor, it is equally well equipped for accommodating large groups. Ostensibly akin to other Mediterranean and Middle Eastern locals in the city, Nur stands apart thanks to a number of distinct and singular dishes. Those new to the cuisine should break the ice with fava beans cooked in butter with spicy Egyptian sausage or the minty zabadee yoghurt dip. Tagines – casseroles slow-cooked in earthware – champion the authentic Egyptian food offering, and diners can choose from chicken, lamb, beef or veggie, each prepared in a particular ingredient mix. The restaurant vaunts stalwart Levantine staples as well – kofta balls and falafel, as well as hummus, tahini or babaganoush dips with flatbread, and for mains, a few gems from the charcoal grill.
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Egyptian music
- Live entertainment: Belly dancer on last Saturday of the month, occasional harp player
- Capacity: 60 (14 outdoors)
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2009
- BYOB: £3.95, 75p beer corkage
Reviews & features
Best BYOB restaurant in Glasgow31 May 2018
Don't depend on the venue to have your favourite craft beer: just bring your own
Bring a bottle or two of your favourite tipple to accompany lunch or dinner at these BYOB restaurants and cafés in Glasgow.