- Telephone 0131 555 4387
- Seasonal times Open late over Festival and Hogmanay.
- Bar open Mon/Tue 4pm–midnight; Wed–Fri 4pm–1am; Sat/Sun 2pm–1am.
Idiosyncratic Leith pub which has established a niche for itself.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Named after a notoriously difficult Tour de France mountain climb (and sister to The Ventoux in Tollcross), this cycling-themed bar is a friendly, traditional pub, brimming with character. There’s no food but eggs pickled in a variety of brines (dill, fresh peppercorn and lemon anyone?) are available and patrons are welcome to bring in takeaway food (chippies and kebabs excluded). The real attractions are the Scottish, Belgian and particularly German bottled beers, the latter sourced directly with the selection changing every couple of months. Despite its proximity to Easter Road, there’s no football shown, but the big cycling races (grand tours and spring classics) are projected. With Andre the gorilla in the corner, the Battle of Britain being played out on the ceiling, and fish tanks and a tree in the snug, there’s a relaxed quirkiness to this boozer that should appeal, whether you arrive on two wheels or two legs.
- High point: Great neighbourhood pub, ideal for a quiet beer
- Low point: Leaves on the line still keeping the miniature railway from running
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Leftfield eclectic
- Capacity: 60 standing, 30 seated
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Reviews & features
Bar Crawls: Edinburgh - No Sleep Till Leith18 Nov 2011
From central Edinburgh and Leith the best way possible – by the bars
Determining the point at which Leith Walk starts has baffled philosophers, locals and postal workers for decades. Haddington Place and Leith Street have (understandably) become subsumed within this long, iconic thoroughfare that joins Edinburgh with…
Best bars in and around Leith3 Jun 2010
David Pollock suggests the finest locations for a festival beverage, or two