Candle-lit speakeasy basement bar for the adventurous drinker or cocktail connoisseur.
Blink and you’ll miss Bramble’s doorway, hidden at basement level with nothing but a little brass plaque to hint at what lies within. But word has got out and this popular spot is a regular top tip for cocktail enthusiasts. Inside, the cosy nooks nod to retro cool (look out for Ice-T in his heyday) and the friendly team offer smooth service and helpful recommendations. The evolving menu is bursting with booze. Several pages are dedicated to gins and whiskies, but the cocktails are the real highlight. Interesting ingredients, like bacon-washed Courvoisier, are developed with imaginative methods, combined creatively and presented beautifully. Some, like the suitably titled Dazed & Confused, feature their very own house spirits like Sea Wolf, Scotland’s first white rum. Apparently it takes a little longer to ferment this far from the heat of the Caribbean, but the guys persevered and are justifiably proud of the results.
- High point: Delicious drinks…
- Low point: …that are too tempting. Moderation doesn’t come easy
- Music on stereo: Funk, hip-hop
- Live entertainment: DJs on Fri and Sat 9pm-1am
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: No reservations
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle