The Blue Blazer
- Telephone 0131 229 5030
- Seasonal times Open until 3am during August and December.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 11.30am–10pm; Sat/Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Average price £4 (lunch); £4 (evening meal)
Grab a pint of cask ale, order some nibbles and learn why the regulars struggle to part with this one.
Amongst the art students, tourists, office workers and …dogs which make a regular appearance, the Blue Blazer’s loyal elders will tell you that this place, over the years, has barely changed a bit. On a quiet day, have a gander at the personalised mosaic on the floor, the faded pictures of Edinburgh at the time of opening in 1975 and the whisky barrels plonked around the room. Their seven revolving cask ale taps keep those in search of a local brew happy, with the likes of Fyne Ales Superior IPA and Speyside’s Bow Fiddle Blonde making regular appearances, along with Guinness and all the usual suspects. But what really makes this old-school boozer stand out from the rest is their selection of 80-plus rums from all corners of the world.
- High point: A seriously well-stocked bar
- Low point: Limited food means they sometimes struggle to get bums on seats
- Notable dish: Pusser's Rum
- Provides: Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop/Rock
- Live entertainment: Open mic night on Sundays with 'The Listening Room' plus guests
- Capacity: 120 inc. standing, 80 seated
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 1975
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle