- Telephone 0131 228 3333
- Seasonal times Open Mon–Sun during Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Wed–Mon noon–2pm, 5.30–11pm. Closed Tue.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–7pm.
- Average price £9.30 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.50 (3 course)
- Website www.chinatownedinburgh.com
The finer end of Chinese dining in Edinburgh, China Town impresses with the quality of its food and service.
Entering China Town on a quieter night can be a little foreboding; the hush, the extravagant drapery and the curlicued high-backed chairs all lend the impression that this might be the kind of fancy-dan, high-end restaurant where Michelin pretensions are present in all but the boring food. Don’t be alarmed though, any hush in this place is there because customers are quietly savouring the quality of Thomas Chan’s cooking, which is anything but boring. There’s a combination of the authentic and Anglicised on the extensive (perhaps over-long) menu, but Chan is a dab hand at both, preparing everything to order from his impressive array of water-cooled wok burners, so even sesame prawn toasts feel fresh. Mo po do fu comes with beef or pork, and is slippery and rich, while a sizzling pork belly dish is cleverly balanced with spice and sweetness. There’s sweetness too in the service, which is natural and unhurried, and a good deal warmer than first impressions would suggest.
- Delivery: From £1, only local area
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Chinese dulcimer music
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle