This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 552 2912
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5–11pm; Sun 3–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 5–8pm
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.95
- Website www.urbanpind.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
More traditional than its Candleriggs neighbours, Urban Pind divides two large dining areas with a fish pond, while thick carpets and Indian artworks set a conventional tone. The family-run business focuses on the popular Punjabi cuisine to great effect. To start, a traditional range of pakoras, samosas and dosas will always prove popular, but the moist and spicy chicken tikka boti kebab is a worthy alternative. There’s no scrimping on portion sizes either. Mains are split by cuisine style, and with a history of these on the menu, there is much to learn for the uninitiated. Handi, karahi, tawa, shahi nawab and tandoori dishes all tempt, along with more traditional fare. The slow-cooked desi handi is stew-like with tender lamb, while the chicken tikka from the tandoor arrives sizzling on a bed of veg. Its delicate spices roll over the tongue before a hit of chilli delivers a satisfying bite. Worth consideration is a seasonal snacking menu, which can be enjoyed al fresco in summer months – adding another layer to an already popular offering.
- High point: Great lunch and dinner deals on offer
- Low point: Crockery a bit too reminiscent of runny eggs
- Private dining: (Area taking up to 100 can be curtained off)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Indian pop
- Capacity: 150
- Largest group: 170
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £10.95 per bottle