Athena Greek Taverna
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 339 3895
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 3.30–7pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.athenataverna.co.uk
Established over 40 years ago, a traditional Greek restaurant serving hearty, generously portioned dishes in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Decorated in warm colours and lit by sparkly fairy lights, this Greek restaurant was originally founded in 1973 on the city’s Southside, moving locations a few times till settled recently down the road from the Mitchell Library. Boasts on its website speak of ‘hearty portions’ – and this is no exaggeration. The sharing starter of Cyprus hors d’oeurves for £11.95 is a great mix of flavours and textures including dolmades, hummous, tzatziki and extremely salty pickled peppers. The beef stifado stew, cooked in red wine with shallots and cinnamon sticks, is a warming rustic number, while the lamb meatballs with garlic, mint and oregano are rich and filling – and come with the carbohydrate challenge of both rice and roast potatoes. There is a good selection of dishes for vegetarians including halloumi salad and moussaka. Finish off with some natural yoghurt topped with honey and nuts or traditional rice pudding. If you fancy a side of plate smashing and dancing with your dinner, head to the restaurant’s monthly Greek night.
- High point: Generous portions at reasonable prices
- Low point: Slightly odd soundtrack mixing traditional Greek and pop music
- Notable dish: King prawns in a tomato, feta and shallot casserole
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Greek music and pop
- Live entertainment: Monthly Greek night, including music, dancing and plate smashing.
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2009 (2014 this site)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage