Athena Greek Taverna
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 339 3895
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 3.30–7pm
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.athenataverna.co.uk
Established over 40 years ago, a traditional Greek restaurant serving hearty, generously portioned dishes in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Decorated in warm colours and lit by sparkly fairy lights, this Greek restaurant was originally founded in 1973 on the city’s Southside, moving locations a few times till settled recently down the road from the Mitchell Library. Boasts on its website speak of ‘hearty portions’ – and this is no exaggeration. The sharing starter of Cyprus hors d’oeurves for £11.95 is a great mix of flavours and textures including dolmades, hummous, tzatziki and extremely salty pickled peppers. The beef stifado stew, cooked in red wine with shallots and cinnamon sticks, is a warming rustic number, while the lamb meatballs with garlic, mint and oregano are rich and filling – and come with the carbohydrate challenge of both rice and roast potatoes. There is a good selection of dishes for vegetarians including halloumi salad and moussaka. Finish off with some natural yoghurt topped with honey and nuts or traditional rice pudding. If you fancy a side of plate smashing and dancing with your dinner, head to the restaurant’s monthly Greek night.
- High point: Generous portions at reasonable prices
- Low point: Slightly odd soundtrack mixing traditional Greek and pop music
- Notable dish: King prawns in a tomato, feta and shallot casserole
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Greek music and pop
- Live entertainment: Monthly Greek night, including music, dancing and plate smashing.
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2009 (2014 this site)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage