My Big Fat Greek Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 228 1030
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm; Sun 5–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–6.30pm; Sun 5–10pm.
- Average price £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.75 (plus dessert £3.50)
- Website www.mybigfatgreekkitchen.co.uk
Good, authentic Greek cuisine served in taverna-style surroundings by friendly staff.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
My Big Fat Greek Kitchen, a little taste of the Mediterranean in Tollcross, is under new ownership. But as it’s been taken over by previous chef Kostas Retsas, the menu – largely consisting of traditional dishes – remains pretty much unchanged. Start with a selection of dips and warm pitta bread – garlicky hummus, tangy tzatziki and the less well-known creamy feta and chilli dip, tirokafteri. Popular favourites such as their moussaka with minced beef, aubergines and potatoes topped with an impressive bechamel sauce or the tasty lamb klefiko cooked on the bone, do not disappoint. Psaronefri, a fillet of pork stuffed with halloumi and marinated in olive oil and lemon sauce, is less traditional but still delivers punchy flavours. With its exterior themed in the blue and white colours of Greece and a simple interior showcasing views of the home country, this restaurant proves popular with loyal regulars and theatregoers alike.
- High point: Simple Greek food and friendly service
- Low point: Tables can be a bit cosy
- Notable dish: Moussaka
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Greek music
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4 (including retsina)
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle