My Big Fat Greek Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 228 1030
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm; Sun 5–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 5–7pm.
- Average price £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14 (3 courses £17)
- Website www.mybigfatgreekkitchen.co.uk
Popular Greek favourites served in taverna-style surroundings by friendly staff.
Chef-turned-My Big Fat Greek Kitchen owner Kostas Restas serves up a homely mix of traditional and familiar Greek food to those hoping to rekindle sun-tinted memories of Corfu, Kefalonia et al. Under stock pictures of whitewashed houses and seas of cobalt blue, sip a citrussy Santorini Boutari with some olives and tuck into the filo-wrapped spinach and feta of spanakopita from the veggie mezzes and the irresistible pitta and dips, including the feta, chilli and paprika whizz that is tirokafteri. But don’t stuff yourself like a dolmade – save space for a Greek plate of grilled chicken souvlaki or a classic moussaka. Or plump for the Aegina, an eight-strong mezze taster that Kostas says is diners' most popular choice. Kick off with courgette rissoles, move onto calamari, grilled halloumi, spicy pastourma sausage and deep-fried little blanchbait. You probably won’t have room for baklava. Or, after a bottle of sweet and sticky retsina, be able to pronounce galaktoboureko (custard pie with syrup). Oh, go on then. And maybe an ouzo.
- High point: Traditional Greek favourites in a friendly setting
- Low point: Doesn’t push any culinary boundaries
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4 (including retsina)
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle