My Big Fat Greek Kitchen
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 228 1030
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm; Sun 5–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sun 5–7pm.
- Average price £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14 (3 courses £17)
- Website www.mybigfatgreekkitchen.co.uk
Popular Greek favourites served in taverna-style surroundings by friendly staff.
Chef-turned-My Big Fat Greek Kitchen owner Kostas Restas serves up a homely mix of traditional and familiar Greek food to those hoping to rekindle sun-tinted memories of Corfu, Kefalonia et al. Under stock pictures of whitewashed houses and seas of cobalt blue, sip a citrussy Santorini boutari with some olives and tuck into the filo-wrapped spinach and feta spanakopita and the irresistible pitta and dips, including the feta, chilli and paprika whizz that is tirokafteri. But don’t stuff yourself like a dolmades – save space for a plate of grilled chicken souvlaki or a classic moussaka. Or plump for the aegina, an eight-strong mezze taster that Kostas says is diners' most popular choice. Kick off with courgette rissoles, move onto calamari, grilled halloumi, spicy pastourma sausage and deep-fried little blanchbait. You probably won’t have room for baklava. Or, after a bottle of sweet and sticky retsina, be able to pronounce galaktoboureko (custard pie with syrup). Oh, go on then. And maybe an ouzo.
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4 (including retsina)
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle