The Water of Leith Café Bistro
- Telephone 0131 556 6887
- Opening times Tue–Th 9.30am–5pm; Fri 9.30am–9pm; Sat 10am–9pm; Sun 10am–4pm; closed Mon.
- Food served Mon–Thu 9.30am–5pm; Fri 9.30am–8pm; Sat 10am–8pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £13 (set evening meal)
- Website www.thewaterofleithcafebistro.com
Head for the specials menu at this friendly riverside spot where the food exceeds the expectations of a neighbourhood café.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This neighbourhood café punches above its weight with a menu that many restaurants would struggle to beat. Not content with mere soup and sandwiches (although both are available for those wanting a quick lunch) wife-and-husband team Ana and Mickaël Meslé deliver an ambitious choice of daily specials, including braised pork cheeks and a rabbit and pistachio terrine. The regular menu includes steak and chips, mussels and pork burgers with a three-course special available at weekends, plus there’s a separate choice for the young ones. Locally sourced high-welfare ingredients get a strong showing, and there’s a spread of freshly made quiches, cakes and desserts and a small but smart selection of beers, wines and spirits. The bubbly atmosphere inside this bright riverside café flows from a team who serve up delicious food with genuine pride and an extra helping of happiness.
- High point: Very special daily specials
- Low point: If only it stayed open later
- Notable dish: Braised pork cheeks in sultana and honey jus with bubble and squeak mash
- Private dining: Rent out whole restaurant for set dinner menu (see their website)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, Latin, Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2009 / 2014 (in new location)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle