The Scottish Café
- Telephone 0131 225 1550
- Opening times Mon–Sat 9am–5.30pm; Thu 9am–7pm; Sun 10am–5.30pm.
- Food served Mon–Wed 9am–5.30pm; Thu 9am–7pm; Fri/Sat 9am–5.30pm; Sun 10am–5.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Afternoon teas daily from 3–5pm
- Website www.thescottishcafeandrestaurant.com
Scottish ingredients showcased with the Contini's high class in picturesque Princes Street Gardens.
Overlooking Princes Street Gardens, and housed in one of Edinburgh’s top attractions, it would be easy for The Scottish Café at the National Gallery to rest on its laurels. Happily though, it certainly doesn’t. The menu has Victor and Carina Contini’s recognisable creative and accomplished twists on traditional Scottish dishes. Aberdeen butteries are artfully combined with spinach, crowdie cheese and roasted plums and an open sandwich of hot smoked salmon is elevated by a rocket salsa verde and served with a citrus and carrot salad. Local and seasonal produce is the genuine article here and extra fruit, vegetables and flowers are supplied by the Contini’s own kitchen garden. The menu covers all bases and mains from fish pie to venison are well conceived and competently cooked. Suppliers are intelligently sourced with staff clearly enthused and on-board. Afternoon tea at a table beside the expansive windows is a definite treat. A chewy white chocolate macaron is memorable and everything from bread to jam is made on the premises.
- Private dining: Up to 90 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Live entertainment: Harpist on Sundays in high season
- Capacity: 250 (80 outside)
- Largest group: 250
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £20 per bottle