- Telephone 0131 623 1752
- Seasonal times Sun hours extended to 10am–10pm during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–10pm; Sun noon–5pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £14 for two courses; £18 for three courses
- Website www.spoonedinburgh.co.uk
Good-humoured eatery with casual all-day dining and chilled-out service delivering simply prepared bistro classics.
In a light-filled first-floor room with views across to the the Festival Theatre, Spoon holds its own as a reliable venue for generous breakfasts, healthy lunches and veggie-friendly dinners. The large open space cleverly uses curtains and offbeat décor to create the illusion of multiple, intimate areas. The eclectic, decade-clashing mix of charity shop furniture and carefully curated curios gives the interior a quirky feel to which the laid-back service is well matched. The menu is a jack of all trades, suiting most dietary requirements and tastes. Brunch is served daily alongside a daytime menu which smoothly transitions to pre-theatre and dinner. Fillet of sea bream with roast cauliflower, lime, chilli and peanuts is a delicate, well-textured lunch main or evening starter while chestnut mushroom and barley bolognese is a tasty meat and wheat-free twist on the classic dish. The dessert menu feels like an afterthought following the generous savoury mains; try finishing your meal with one of the liqueur coffees featuring delightful roasts from Luckie Beans instead.
- Private dining: 30–40 in curtained off area
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic mix of staff picks
- Capacity: 92
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2009 at Nicolson Street (2002 at previous Blackfriars Street site)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…
Neighbourhood watch: Newington, Edinburgh27 May 2011
A guide to the ares of the Scottish capital dominated by Edinburgh University
What's it like? Okay, we'll get the inevitable out of the way first. There are a lot of students living in Newington. And while we know some of our readers aren't that keen on students, their presence does imbue the area with a certain bounce and life…