- Telephone 0131 623 1752
- Seasonal times Sun hours extended to 10am–10pm during Edinburgh Festival
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–10pm; Sun noon–5pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5–7pm
- Pre-theatre price £15 for two courses; £20 for three courses
- Website www.spoonedinburgh.co.uk
Informal and friendly neighbourhood café and bistro serving up a little bit of everything.
Kitsch lamp shades, wispy curtains and mismatched furniture help turn this cavernous big-windowed room into somewhere more intimate and homely. This is a relaxed and informal bistro where students share a space with theatregoers. The slightly alternative feel is reflected in a varied menu which is built around the wares of local suppliers and changes regularly. A substantial breakfast menu offers meaty fried options alongside fruit or veg alternatives and runs through till 5pm for late risers. Lunch mixes soup and sandwiches with larger offerings such as turkey escalope or grilled salmon. Dinner ranges from vegetarian dishes such as a charred aubergine and courgette curry or beetroot rösti with bulgur wheat, to lamb chops, chicken tagine and pork belly. Fill any further hunger pangs with sides of cauliflower and potato gratin or white bean, greens and chilli. Wash it all down with a modestly priced bottle of wine – there’s something to please everyone here.
- Private dining: 30–40 in curtained off area
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Sonos playlist. A bit of everything.
- Capacity: 92
- Largest group: 120
- Open since: 2009 at Nicolson Street (2002 at previous Blackfriars Street site)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Reviews & features
Best restaurants in Edinburgh for good pre-theatre deals31 May 2018
Where to head if you're looking for a good feed before a show
Whether you're after a quick bite or a more lavish pre-show meal, there are restaurants in Edinburgh of all cuisines with good, affordable menus to fill you up before you head to the theatre.
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…
Neighbourhood watch: Newington, Edinburgh27 May 2011
A guide to the ares of the Scottish capital dominated by Edinburgh University
What's it like? Okay, we'll get the inevitable out of the way first. There are a lot of students living in Newington. And while we know some of our readers aren't that keen on students, their presence does imbue the area with a certain bounce and life…