This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0845 659 5903
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–2am; Sun midday-11pm
- Food served Mon–Thu 11am–9pm; Fri 11am–2am; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–9pm
- Average price £8.99 (set lunch); £13 (evening meal)
- Website www.waverleytearoom.co.uk
Charred beef and other quirky burgers come on pretzel rolls in this relaxed, popular Southside haunt.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Ketchup, G1’s nod towards the gourmet burger trend, occupies the right-hand side of the menu in this, their main Southside outpost. It’s a decent match – the Tea Rooms is an interesting space with outdoor and conservatory seating alongside the warm wooden tones of its main area, equally at ease as a Sunday brunch, bring-the-kids sort of place or on a Saturday night, when the late licence pulls in punters from the area. If anything, it feels like the ‘Ketchup’ name is being phased out, though the burgers will undoubtedly remain. Instead of brioche buns, they use a pretzel rolls – glossy and chewy and savoury. Meat has a good amount of smoky charring and customers can create their own feast or choose from quirky options such as a katsu burger, where panko breadcrumbs with some Japanese spicing coat a chicken breast. After being the first place to introduce the ‘fries are bought separately’ model, Ketchup has now gone back to including them in the price. Those prices – especially with the 2-for-1 code during the week – are very reasonable.
- High point: Chips aren't extra
- Low point: Burgers are always well done
- Notable dish: Katsu burger
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: G1 Playlist: mainstream pop/rock
- Live entertainment: DJs Fri/Sat, open mic Thursdays
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle