Ondine Oyster & Grill
- Telephone 0131 226 1888
- Seasonal times Open Mon–Sun in August (they are reviewing this)
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5.30–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre price £23 (£29 for three courses – same menu as for set lunch)
- Website www.ondinerestaurant.co.uk
Simple, stylish presentation lets the seafood do the talking at this upscale city-centre location.
Update (August 2021): Ondine has re-opened as Ondine Oyster & Grill with a full refurbishment and an increased choice of meat dishes alongside seasonal seafood. A decade on from its inception, Ondine has certainly carved out a niche in Edinburgh’s culinary landscape. Plainly put, it serves the very best seafood in town. Bright, modern and airy, its first floor corner location offers views down the capital’s prettiest thoroughfare, Victoria Street. Chef-patron Roy Brett eschews fuss, so full-flavoured oak-smoked salmon is simply plated in six narrow strips with shallots, capers and horseradish mayo clustered in little mounds, waiting for when they’re called upon to assist. Lightly battered tempura squid is another winner, accompanied by a bruiser of a Vietnamese dipping sauce. Mains include a beautifully balanced curried monkfish (on the bone) with bharta aubergine and jeera rice. Grilled scallops with garlic butter are superb and bacon jam adds the darker, richer contrast often provided by black pudding (though those with an appetite may wish to treat themselves to a side dish). Service is practically faultless and there’s a well-thought-out wine list and a wide range of whiskies. Their bar-based oyster happy hour is popular so book ahead.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Sophisticated lounge music
- Capacity: 75 (includes 14 seated at the bar)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 29
- House wine: £25 per bottle