- Telephone 0131 226 1888
- Seasonal times Open Mon–Sun in August (they are reviewing this)
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5.30–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre price £19 (£24 for three courses – same menu as for set lunch)
- Website www.ondinerestaurant.co.uk
Sophisticated modern restaurant serving some of the finest seafood in Edinburgh.
At the top of its game since opening in 2009, Ondine has a carefully honed reputation as Edinburgh’s best fish restaurant and perhaps one of its best restaurants, full stop. Smiling service is on the formal side, with milling waiters seemingly always on hand to top up glasses and re-fold napkins. While the prime spots in the large dining area are the people-watching window seats overlooking Victoria Street and George IV Bridge, there are also seats at the bar, tucked-away intimate tables for two, and a popular private dining room that seats 10. On a menu packed with globally inspired fish dishes, the sole meunière with capers and brown shrimps is a simple triumph. The sea bream curry, one of the menu’s originals, transports you to the Indian subcontinent with its pairing of punchy aromatic spices and delicate flaky fish. Seafood platters teetering with gleaming scallops, crab, mussels, clams, oysters and langoustines are the star of the show, whether roasted or chilled and served with aioli. A side of hand-cut chips would be the ideal accompaniment. The popular oyster happy hour (Mon–Sat 5.30–6.30pm) offers oysters for £1 a pop at the bar, making for a fine start to an evening with a glass of fizz or two.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background easy listening
- Capacity: 75 (includes 14 seated at the bar)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £22 per bottle