- Telephone 0131 226 1888
- Seasonal times Open Mon–Sun in August (they are reviewing this)
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5.30–6.30pm.
- Pre-theatre price £19 (£24 for three courses – same menu as for set lunch)
- Website www.ondinerestaurant.co.uk
Sophisticated modern restaurant serving some of the finest seafood in Edinburgh.
This is Edinburgh’s destination seafood restaurant, the high end of shellfish dining. Service is formal with waiters refilling glasses and refolding napkins, the atmosphere one of comfortable wealth. Shaped like a horseshoe, the room spreads out from a central bar with dining tables looking out on to the busy Old Town streets. The menu offers starters such as potted crab or smoked salmon and mains ranging from haddock and chips to lobster thermidor, but the star dishes are their platters. There’s the roasted shellfish platter, a mix of almost a dozen different types of seafood from around Scotland, from Barra cockles to Eyemouth lobster, or the same shellfish selection on ice showcasing their freshness and distinct flavours. What this place does best is provide carefully sourced seafood, simply prepared, that stands on the quality of the ingredients; foams, gels and other chef tricks are (some would say mercifully) absent. For oyster lovers, there's a good early evening deal where you can enjoy them for £1 each, and feel good about your green credentials as the shells are recycled into chicken feed.
- Private dining: Up to 10 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz
- Capacity: 75 (includes 14 seated at the bar)
- Largest group: 16
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £22 per bottle