Rufflets Country House Hotel
- Telephone 01334 472594
- Seasonal times Closed first two weeks of January.
- Food served Mon–Sun 8am–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm.
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £25 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Two courses £14.95, three courses £17.95
- Website www.rufflets.co.uk
A four-star hotel in a turreted mansion just outside St Andrews which has offered golf breaks, weddings and fine dining since 1952.
Set just outside St. Andrews is the four-star Rufflets Country House Hotel, a turreted mansion which has offered golf breaks, weddings and fine dining since 1952. Twenty-four bedrooms, self-catering lodges, spacious gardens and dog-friendly grounds make Rufflets a favourite with locals and international visitors. Menus include a pre-theatre bar supper and two- and three-course lunches and dinners in the terraced restaurant. The dining room embodies a romantic air with red and white striped walls, rose carpeting and white tables. Dishes have a colourful yet delicate presentation and the chef’s seafood creations won’t disappoint. For starters, a Scottish salmon roulade with a crab filling comes dotted with capers and a lemony herb salad. A goat’s cheese soufflé, warm in the centre, arrives with lines of pesto dressing and tiny cubed sun-blushed tomatoes. Seared Scottish sea trout lies atop a bed of leek and smoked haddock risotto, enlivened by slivers of pancetta and a herb and shallot dressing. For dessert, one can enjoy a sumptuous cheese plate or a velvety rhubarb crème brûlée. For those needing a luxurious break away from the boisterous university town, Rufflets is a promising option.
The hotel serves organic, fine dining cuisine in its Seasons restaurant, including produce grown in their own kitchen garden.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: classical music
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 70
- Open since: Built in 1924, became hotel in 1952.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £22.00 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.