- Telephone 01241 830364
- Seasonal times Oct–May: closed for dinner Sun evenings. Closed in Jan.
- Food served Tue–Sat 7–8.30pm; Sun 12.30–1.30pm & 7–8.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £34 (set lunch); £55 (set evening meal)
- Website www.gordonsrestaurant.co.uk
Small but accomplished fine dining restaurant serving Modern British dishes.
Over more than 25 years the Watson family have built a reputation for their seriously good food. The intimate dining room features exposed stone, wooden beams and a wood-burning stove, with wallpaper by Timorous Beasties adding a contemporary touch. The stage is set for fine dining with white tablecloths covering the well-spaced tables, and set menus offering a selection of dishes with inventive combinations. Think ham hock, guinea fowl and prune mosaic served with pickled girolles and bacon brioche, or a roasted breast of quail with celeriac, apple and beetroot jus. A touch of adventure appears in main dishes such as fennel-crusted monkfish, spiced cous cous, mussel beignets and curry dressing, while a more traditional roast duck comes with rich cabbage cider fondant and a peppered honey jus. The cheeseboard reflects the strength of Scottish artisanal cheese, and desserts are at the same time light and intense. This is a place for serious food appreciation with everything cooked, presented and served with care.
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 5
- Provides: Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 1986
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
Reviews & features
Chef Garry Watson on wild garlic11 Jul 2012
The Angus Larder - Chef's Choice
Garry Watson is spoilt for wild garlic around Gordon's Restaurant, where he works as head chef. He tells us about about his favourite ways to use it.