Treacle Bar and Kitchen
- Telephone 0131 557 0627
- Seasonal times Open until 3am during August and Christmas.
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £15 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Although no pre-theatre deal, customers can phone up to order in advance to ensure they don't miss a show.
- Website www.treacleedinburgh.co.uk
Serving mad cocktails and Asian-style food, Treacle has a constant buzz amid the Broughton Street crowd.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
When Treacle’s staff are regularly asked why they have a monkey on their sign, their simple response is, ‘Does a monkey need a reason?’ This perfectly captures what this Broughton Street bar and kitchen is all about; doing exactly what they want, the way they want to. Inside, it feels as if a child has had his own way with the interior designer, choosing comic character wallpaper for a wall facing 200-year-old exposed brick, but the space has been cleverly arranged, making it as appealing to brunch-goers as evening drinkers. Their mischievous creativity has also helped shape a diverse menu, where it’s acceptable to drink a vodka Asian Hooker with a large bowl of ramen, or play it safe with a chicken pie and pint of Drygate’s IPA. This may all sound like chaos, but Treacle’s enthusiastic team have a knack for making the unusual seem totally easy breezy.
- High point: Each cocktail is served in its own way
- Low point: More floor staff are needed during busier periods
- Notable dish: Tsukune: Japanese style meatballs with a rum and ginger glaze
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80s hip hop
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 20 (eating)
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle