- Telephone 0131 476 6776
- Bar open Tue–Thu 1–11pm; Fri/Sat 1–1am. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue/Wed noon–8.45pm; Thu noon–9.15pm; Fri/Sat noon–9.45pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £15 'El Clasico' menu for two to share (set lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.tapaedinburgh.co.uk
Stylish Spanish restaurant in a former warehouse aimed at the upper end of the market.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Evoking the tastes of the best tapas from across Spain, the team behind Tapa demonstrate a real passion to bring authentic and unusual dishes to Edinburgh. Cuts of pork (from the Iberian black pig) rarely used here, such as presa and the buttery rich secreto, are deftly griddled to retain the full flavour of the meat. The cooking is contemporary with reductions and salsas decorating the plates. Vegetarians won’t be disappointed with innovative creations like the popular berenjenas con miel, melting slices of aubergine covered in light batter and drizzled with honey. Portion sizes are large, think raciones rather than traditional tapas, although there is a range of bite-sized cured meats and cheeses to whet the appetite. The low hum of chatter as people share food adds a convivial atmosphere. Set in a 19th-century bonded warehouse, it’s a grand space with white walls broken up with colourful posters, the overall feel one of modern stylishness. Great care is also taken over the drinks selection, with an exciting range of Spanish gins alongside the sherrys and Spanish wines.
- High point: High quality and unusual tapas
- Low point: To try everything, you might need a group
- Notable dish: Brochetas de merluza y gambas
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Light jazz
- Live entertainment: Occasional guitarist at weekends or for functions
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…