- Telephone 0131 476 6776
- Bar open Tue–Thu 1–11pm; Fri/Sat 1–1am. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue/Wed noon–8.45pm; Thu noon–9.15pm; Fri/Sat noon–9.45pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £15 'El Clasico' menu for two to share (set lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.tapaedinburgh.co.uk
Stylish Spanish restaurant in a former warehouse aimed at the upper end of the market.
In the Shore area of Leith, Tapa inhabits two stone-walled and well-styled rooms on the ground floor of an historic former warehouse. Whitewashed walls and muted grey woodwork give it a light and airy feel, with a homely touch added by colourful film posters and twinkling fairy lights. The cooking here is contemporary yet classical and is squarely aimed at the upper end of the market. Good-sized portions, beyond the traditional tapas-sized plates, feature a range of Spanish ingredients such as black pudding from Burgos and various cuts of black pig, as well as sea bass ceviche, grilled octopus and pan-seared padrón peppers. An interesting drinks list includes wines from lesser-known regions and grapes, as well as a good selection of aged sherries, and all dietary needs are well-catered for with gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan menus available. With a good value ‘El Clasico’ lunch for two to share, a party menu and a warm welcome for kids, Tapa has the feel of a well thought-out place that has a little bit of something for everyone.
- High point: Plenty of interesting dishes to choose from
- Low point: All of them arriving at once and food going cold
- Notable dish: Aubergine 'crisps'
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Light jazz
- Live entertainment: Occasional guitarist at weekends or for functions
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2009
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…