The Auld Hoose
- Telephone 0131 668 2934
- Seasonal times Festival late licence, usually extended by two hours.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–12.45am; Sun 12.30pm–12.45am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9.30pm; Sun 12.30–9.30pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.theauldhoose.co.uk
Traditional beer-focused pub which has benefited from sympathetic modernisation. Legendary hardcore/metal/punk jukebox along with equally famous nachos.
There’s surely nothing more comforting than a plate of nachos, piled sky high and overflowing with giant dollops of salsa, sour cream, guacamole and, of course, oozing with generous amounts of melted cheese. Perhaps a tall, Leaning Tower of Pisa-like mountain of onion rings would be a close second? The Auld Hoose is a haven for hearty dishes and pub food, with a vegetarian and vegan-friendly menu packed with burgers, burritos, hotdogs and more. Breweries like Tiny Rebel, Tempest and Alechemy can be found on tap, while the fridge is stocked with a range of interesting bottled beers. If you’re not a fan of metal and punk, don’t be put off by the bar’s soundtrack; the Auld Hoose caters to a varied clientele and is welcoming of everyone, including dogs. That being said, students may find it particularly appealing, with 10% off food at all times.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Punk, metal, hardcore, goth
- Live entertainment: Pub quiz nights
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: No reservations taken
- Open since: 1865
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle