- Telephone 0131 226 2862
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5pm–midnight; Sun 3pm–midnight.
- Average price £17 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.indianloungeedinburgh.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Variously known as The Indian Lounge, Tipu's Indian Lounge, or Tippoo Sahib (its previous moniker that lingers on menus and framed certificates on the walls), this stalwart of Rose Street has been serving up traditional curries and Punjabi specialities for three decades. A plasma screen in the entrance offers images of the carpeted dining area one level down from the street; it's hard to describe the eating spaces as elaborate, with just a few pictures and ornaments, but the dark wood tables and contemporary chairs are smart and the welcome easy and chatty. Starters include pakora, puri and chutt patt – tandoori barbecued chicken wings – while mains offer a run-through of traditional bhunas, dhansaks and vindaloos along with specials where cream, coconut and milder spicing are employed in dishes such as chicken pasanda or kurum ghutala, a dish with its origins in the Moghul empire.
- High point: Handily placed city-centre curry spot
- Low point: Windowless dining room
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options
- Music on stereo: Traditional Indian music
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1983
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle