Italian On The Mound
- Telephone 0131 220 4400
- Seasonal times Opening hours extended to 6.30pm during summer months, and to 10.30pm during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–5pm; Sat/Sun 11am–5pm.
- Average price £7.50 (lunch)
Compact and welcoming Italian family-run café dishing up daily specials, ciabattas, soups, pastas and lighter options.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Laughter echoes above the sound of sizzling cheese in this compact and welcoming family-run café. If you’ve just climbed the Mound, they’ll see you sustained with one of their many filled baguettes, ciabattas, focaccias or flatbreads. Roasted vegetables, pesto and mozzarella; pastrami, dill pickle and jarlsberg; or the now legendary no.9 are just some of the possible filling combinations. Southern Italian cuisine sings out in their choice of salamis and other speciality ingredients. Arancini (Sicilian rice balls) and Nonna’s very own meatballs (made using the secret family recipe) will sate any homesick Italian. The chocolate brownies are pretty special here, with bitter dark chocolate and crunchy nuts, or try the homemade cannoli – delicate ricotta-filled tubes of joy with candied peel surprises, perfect washed down with a well-made cappuccino.
- High point: Heartwarming regional Italian fare
- Low point: With so much choice, the feeling you've missed out
- Notable dish: Homemade brownies
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Local radio
- Capacity: 7
- Open since: 1997