- Telephone 0131 667 8466
- Seasonal times Festival: extended hours and days
- Food served Fri–Sun 11am–7pm. Closed Mon–Thu.
- Average price £6 (lunch)
- Website www.anteaques.co.uk
Charming tea room and antique shop serving and selling 80 fine teas in delightful surroundings.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Anteaques has that rare quality: once discovered, it’s never forgotten. Part antique shop, part tea room, you sit at tables clothed in white linen surrounded by gorgeous antiques and curios. There are 80 loose leaf teas on offer in this enchanting establishment, served in large glass teapots with proper china tea cups and saucers, and delicate silver spoons. Scones are baked across the road at the Wee Boulangerie and are served with clotted cream and jams from the south of France - try the divinely floral violet or rose petal varieties. You can indulge in truffles from the Chocolate Tree or French confectionary in the form of crystallised rose, violet, or lavender petals. With only four tables it is advisable to book in advance; you don’t want to be turned away from an experience this good.
- High point: Enjoying fine tea surrounded by beautiful things
- Low point: Restricted opening hours and no toilet on site
- Notable dish: Tea!
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Classical & Jazz
- Capacity: 14
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2008
Reviews & features
Time for tea, at last - the best tea rooms23 Jul 2009
Let’s play word association. Tea and … well, there’s coffee, and for the last decade or two we’ve been in a mocha monopoly with coffee chains over-populating our high streets, railway stations, book shops and most places in between. Tea and…