- Telephone 0131 667 4654
- Opening times Mon–Wed 9am–8pm; Thu 9am–9pm; Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Seasonal times Mon–Thu 9am–8pm; Fri/Sat 9am–9pm; Sun 10am–3.30pm. (Winter hours)
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £18.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95 (2 courses) £14.50 (3 courses)
- Website www.hellerskitchen.co.uk
Friendly Southside neighbourhood eatery serving local food for local people.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Owners Richard and Michelle Heller have got this neighbourhood dining malarkey down pat. Their Southside eatery transitions smoothly from breakfast dishes, through a lunch rush, before segueing into a cool dinner state, replete with fairy lights and acoustic pop covers on the stereo. The food is just as smooth. Chosen from a list of starters as long as your arm, the goat’s cheese salad combines walnuts, beetroot and balsamic dressing in pleasing balance, with no overpowering flavours or textures. For mains, a properly gamey venison haunch from the specials board is cooked to fall-apart deliciousness, complemented by crisp dauphinoise potatoes. The veggie burger replaces boring bean for butternut squash and mushroom, these rich textures flanked by a sweet brioche bun. Desserts include white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake and a chocolate delice so dense it’s like chomping through a delicious mud pie.
- High point: Knows its place very well
- Low point: Veggie mains limited
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Acoustic pop
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…