- Telephone 0131 667 4654
- Opening times Mon–Wed 9am–8pm; Thu 9am–9pm; Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Seasonal times Mon–Thu 9am–8pm; Fri–Sat 9am–9pm; Sun 10am–4pm. (Winter hours)
- Food served Mon–Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Average price (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95 (2 courses) £14.50 (3 courses)
- Website www.hellerskitchen.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Hardworking husband and wife team Richard and Michelle Heller serve a full range of breakfast dishes, meet lunchtime demand, then set up for evening service. And just in case there is a quiet moment, they also run a successful outside catering business. At first glance, the dinner menu on the restaurant’s website appears to offer a selection of tried and tested bistro favourites. In reality, the specials board that dominates the wall in the upper area of the two-tiered layout is where the chef’s talents are most evident. Possible starters include a haggis crepe in a rich whisky sauce, a combination of flavours that exhibit the skills at work in the kitchen. Among main course specials could be a shin of beef so tender that it falls apart at the touch of a fork, and served in a red wine sauce with dauphinoise potatoes and crunchy vegetables. And desserts include hardy favourites like apple and raspberry crumble with a hint of cinnamon – comfort food to conclude an impressively executed meal.
- High point: Comfortable surroundings and skill in the kitchen
- Low point: You don’t get a true impression of the menu from the website
- Notable dish: Haggis crepe in a whisky sauce
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Contemporary
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Hellers Kitchen./5 from RSS feed of these comments