This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 667 4654
- Opening times Mon–Wed 9am–8pm; Thu 9am–9pm; Sat 9am–10pm; Sun 10am–8pm.
- Food served Mon–Wed 9am–4pm; Thu–Sat 9am–9pm; Sun 10am–4pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £12 (2 courses) £14.50 (3 courses)
- Website www.hellerskitchen.co.uk
This sound Southside bistro delivers well beyond its casual atmosphere
A quick glance through Hellers Kitchen’s glazed frontage reveals what seems to be a low key, relaxing café in which to have a quick bite and a cup of tea, but it would be a mistake not to explore further. Lunch consists of a pleasant range of light dishes and interesting sandwiches, but dinner is a solid performance of culinary confidence heightened by a changing list of daily specials which demonstrate flair. Piled high, crunchy deep-fried squid are tender alongside the bite of lemon aioli, while equally generous mussels are heaped into bowls of basil and cream broth. Pan-roasted venison, darkly seared outside and ruby pink inside, is trickled with a deep red wine jus alongside velvety dauphinoise potatoes. Chargrilled sirloin steak gives way softly under the knife, adding its meaty juices to the stack of hand-cut chips and the fresh bite of a rocket and parmesan salad. The cleansing tang of lemon tart with passion fruit sorbet closes the meal neatly.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazx
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…