The Beach House
Bright and roomy family friendly beach front café serving up delicious breakfasts, soup, sandwiches and cakes, all using local ingredients.
Few places offer a view to match the sweep of beach, sea and sky from this bright and spacious family friendly Portobello café. The Beach House serves breakfast and lunch with a flair that ensures it’s busy even when the promenade is deserted. A tangy beetroot soup gets a twist of yoghurt, horseradish and dill drizzle, a smoked salmon sandwich comes with mushy peas on seaweed sourdough, while a brie panini is boosted by homemade ratatouille. The emphasis is on local organic ingredients – the meat and fruit cordials come from Portobello, cakes are baked locally and many of the greens grow in the café’s garden. Mezze platters and breakfast specials change daily, children get their own menu and service is fast and attentive. For early summer 2016 plans are to have a licence in place and for early evening opening with tapas plates, platter and drinks. This is a place for enjoying the view on the plate as much as the one from the window.
- High point: A room with a view
- Low point: Be prepared to queue on a sunny day
- Notable dish: Beetroot soup with yoghurt, horseradish and dill drizzle
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 60-70 (Up to 30 outside depending on the weather)
- Largest group: 8 normally. Whole venue can be hired for private functions.
- Open since: 2008
Reviews & features
The rough guide to Portobello, Edinburgh's seaside24 Mar 2011
Neighbourhood Watch: The best bits by the beach
What’s it like? An utterly charming, slightly wonky area of Edinburgh, characterised by the city’s only beach and a very distinct, anti-corporate local community ethos. Formerly the holiday destination of most Central Belters, a lack of investment in…