Hotel du Vin Bistro
- Telephone 0131 247 4900
- Seasonal times Open all day during festival until 1am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7–10am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat 8–11am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun noon–3.30pm, 6.30–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–7pm.
- Average price £24 (lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95
- Website www.hotelduvin.com/locations/…
Classy hotel bistro with a strong French accent and wines to match.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Cocooned from the traffic outside, the Hotel du Vin is a refuge for wine-loving Francophiles who can graze on moules marinière, garlic snails and casseroles washed down with vin rouge. Hard to believe this was once the city poorhouse. The spacious, candlelit dining room feels quite intimate by night with well-spaced tables and walls festooned with maps and retro posters. If daunted by the 30-page wine list with 42 by the glass, help is on hand from the young, enthusiastic staff. The compact, seasonally changing menu offers the same French comfort food as every Hotel du Vin – expect classics like beef bourguignon and cassoulet. But they do it well, from fleshy, succulent mussels (a generous starter or main) to lightly charred steak frites with expert chips. Afterwards there’s a tempting array of pudding wines and port if you've run out of space for a tarte tatin or crème brûlée.
- High point: Great range of wines by the glass
- Low point: French menu plays it safe
- Notable dish: Cassoulet
Elegant yet informal, the Hotel du Vin restaurant serves premium French bistro-style cuisine made with the freshest ingredients. Subtle starters and bold mains sit alongside an outstanding wine list, as well as a choice of spirits and local beers.
Leather and dark stained wood fill the interior, with an inviting bar area providing the perfect evening meeting point.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 47
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Amy Winehouse
- Capacity: 64
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 42
- House wine: £21.50 per bottle