Hotel du Vin Bistro
- Telephone 0131 247 4900
- Seasonal times Open all day during festival until 1am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7–10am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat 8–11am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun 8–11am, noon–3.30pm, 6–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Fri/Sat 5.30–7pm.
- Average price £16.95 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95
- Website www.hotelduvin.com/locations/…
Classy hotel bistro with a strong French accent and wines to match.
In today’s cosy bistro world, the dining room aims to be as comfortable as your own sofa, the waiter does a plausible act as your new best friend and the food is as satisfying and easy as your favourite box set. The Hotel du Vin eschews such upstart ideas and harks back to a dark brown, dimly lit version of French bistro-land with courteous, professional staff and classy interiors. The menu changes seasonally and is a meeting of tradition and innovation that can be a little hit-and-miss. A navarin of Lake District mutton is cooked to meltingness and a slab of sea trout is accompanied by a delicious stew of green pulses bathed in cream, but scallops ceviche make it clear don't quite deliver that familiar sweetness. There's a genuine desire to please here, but also a sense of uniformity, with little opportunity for individual creativity.
- High point: Upmarket ambience
- Low point: A little bit soulless
- Notable dish: Navarin of Herdwick Mutton
Elegant yet informal, the Hotel du Vin restaurant serves premium French bistro-style cuisine made with the freshest ingredients. Subtle starters and bold mains sit alongside an outstanding wine list, as well as a choice of spirits and local beers.
Leather and dark stained wood fill the interior, with an inviting bar area providing the perfect evening meeting point.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 66 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 47
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Selected jazz standards, classic pop and soul
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 42
- House wine: £21.50 per bottle