Hotel du Vin Bistro
- Telephone 0131 247 4900
- Seasonal times Festival: open all day until 1am.
- Bar open Mon–Thu 11am–1am; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7–10am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat 8–11am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun 8–11am, noon–4pm, 6–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times All evening Sun–Thu; 5.30–7pm Fri/Sat.
- Pre-theatre price £19.95
- Website www.hotelduvin.com/locations/…
Hotel chain bistro offering French classics and wines to match.
Duck into an almost clandestine entrance on Bristo Place and a flagstone courtyard offers instant respite from the bustle of surrounding city roads while setting a classy scene for stylish brasserie dining. The bistro occupies a spacious former townhouse, stripped back to stone walls with original wooden floors, antique tables and an assortment of poster art. Head chef Ross Edgar oversees a classic menu featuring escargot, onglet steak and moules marinières, as well as sharing platters like whole guinea fowl. A starter of sautéed mushrooms buzzes with flavour, presented in creamy madeira sauce on sweet brioche toast, while tartiflette is rich and unctuous, held together by ripe and chewy reblochon cheese. Mains include an exceptional take on shepherd’s pie showcasing braised duck legs in a luxurious gravy, topped with delicate piped mash, while chargrilled tuna steak is given gusto through its tingling pepper and tomato sauce. Service is professional and detailed, and a wide range of French wines are available from Hotel Du Vin’s temperature-controlled wine loft.
Elegant yet informal, the Hotel du Vin restaurant serves premium French bistro-style cuisine made with the freshest ingredients. Subtle starters and bold mains sit alongside an outstanding wine list, as well as a choice of spirits and local beers.
Leather and dark stained wood fill the interior, with an inviting bar area providing the perfect evening meeting point.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 66 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 47
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz, easy listening
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 75
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 40
- House wine: £21.95 per bottle