Independent coffee chain with busy lunchtime takeaway trade, homemade milkshakes and tasty cakes.
Don’t mistake the monochrome branding and uncluttered interior of Coffee Angel for off-the-peg corporate design. This independent chain of two keeps it simple but focuses on consistently well-made coffee, plus cake and handmade wraps, salads and hot paninis to eat in or take away. The flagship branch at Canonmills occupies a sunny corner and its full glass frontage floods the space with light all year round. Popular with office workers and students, the baristas perform a brisk morning and lunchtime trade but, at the weekends, locals linger over toasties and bagels enjoying the comfort of the leather sofas in the window, or seasonal outdoor seating. With a second branch in the city’s Southside, you can pick up their signature strong but balanced coffee and snacks whether on your way to the Royal Botanic Gardens or Arthur’s Seat.
- High point: Calm and quiet space for coffee and contemplation
- Low point: Sparse interior could use a few personal touches
- Notable dish: Ferrero Rocher or white chocolate milkshake – they're really spoiling you
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Quiet contemporary playlist
- Capacity: 35 (20 outside in summer)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2008