- Telephone 0131 622 6235
- Seasonal times Only open until 6pm in winter
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–7pm; Sat 8.30am–7pm; Sun 10am–7pm. [Winter: closes 6pm].
- Average price £6.50 (lunch)
- Website www.coffee-angel.co.uk
Independent coffee chain with busy lunchtime takeaway trade, homemade milkshakes and tasty cakes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Don’t mistake the monochrome branding and uncluttered interior of Coffee Angel for off-the-peg corporate design. This independent chain of two keeps it simple but focuses on consistently well-made coffee, plus cake and handmade wraps, salads and hot paninis to eat in or take away. The flagship branch at Canonmills occupies a sunny corner and its full glass frontage floods the space with light all year round. Popular with office workers and students, the baristas perform a brisk morning and lunchtime trade but, at the weekends, locals linger over toasties and bagels enjoying the comfort of the leather sofas in the window, or seasonal outdoor seating. With a second branch in the city’s Southside, you can pick up their signature strong but balanced coffee and snacks whether on your way to the Royal Botanic Gardens or Arthur’s Seat.
- High point: Calm and quiet space for coffee and contemplation
- Low point: Sparse interior could use a few personal touches
- Notable dish: Ferrero Rocher or white chocolate milkshake – they're really spoiling you
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Quiet contemporary playlist
- Capacity: 35 (20 outside in summer)
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2008