This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 229 8988
- Food served Mon/Tue/Thu noon–2.30pm; 5–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1–11pm. Closed Wed.
- Pre-theatre times 5–7pm daily
- Average price £8.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.levensrestaurant.net
Since opening in 2008, Leven’s has been known for two things: its suave contemporary interior and its quirky, sometimes strange, fusion cuisine. The décor remains impeccable, but Leven’s seem to have abandoned their fusion ambitions. So, say goodbye to chicken curry lasagne and hello to an almost entirely Thai selection of soups, salads, stir fries and curries. A couple of dishes pay lip service to the chef’s previous cross-border experimentation. The prawn and vegetable tempura makes a pleasingly light starter, whereas the dairy-free coconut panacotta is a more confusing prospect. This beautifully presented dessert features golden toasted sesame and fresh mango but the main attraction possesses a strange lumpy texture. An excellent salmon green curry demonstrates the skill of the kitchen – juicy grilled salmon fillet has glistening crisp skin, sauce is intense yet creamy and vegetables are cooked to perfection. In addition to an extensive a la carte evening menu, Leven’s is a good choice for pre-theatre dining due to its efficient service and proximity to the King's Theatre.
- High point: Delicately spiced, succulent scallops …
- Low point: … overshadowed by a mouth-numbingly hot salad
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Chill out / Thai folk
- Capacity: 49
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £6 corkage