- Telephone 0131 656 0513
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8am–5pm; Sun 9am–5pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–5pm; Sun 9am–5pm.
- Average price £7 (lunch)
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
Right next to Bruntsfield Links, the friendly, laid-back Treehouse Café is well located for a fresh, filling sit-in lunch, or a picnic to take out onto the grass. While the café came under new ownership in spring 2014, just as this guide was going to press, it carries a reputation as a place that proudly serves its community: students, NHS workers and Filmhouse/Cameo members get a 10 per cent discount, and kids are positively welcomed. Expect generous portions of no-nonsense, fresh and delicious food at surprisingly reasonable prices. Things start early with creamy scrambled eggs and smoked salmon or freshly made American pancakes for breakfast, and there’s daily changing soup, stack-em-high club sandwiches and stuffed-full toasties for lunch. Come in as a Treehouse newbie and you’ll leave feeling like one of the regulars.
- High point: Good, fresh food in generous portions
- Low point: The introduction of wifi might encourage diners to stay longer and try the enticing range of cakes
- Notable dish: Flavourful courgette and mint soup
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Quiet, unobtrusive pop
- Capacity: 23
- Largest group: 23
- Open since: 2008