- Telephone 0131 220 9980
- Food served Mon–Sun 10.30am–10pm. [Tapas served from noon.]
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm; Sun all day.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95 (for three tapas plus dessert)
- Website www.cafeandaluz.com/restaurants/…
Two packed floors of crowd-pleasing and enjoyable Spanish-style food to satisfy British expectations and tastes.
Café Andaluz’s only Edinburgh outlet inhabits a huge space on Edinburgh’s fashionable George Street. Set across two expansive yet packed floors, it showcases an impressive Moorish interior featuring curly wrought iron, intricately carved wood and colourful painted ceramics. This busy, buzzy and bold venue has a space for everyone and every occasion and the diversity of diners reflects that. What you’ll eat here is Spanish-style food produced for British tastes, with a sizeable menu featuring a popular selection of tapas dishes, sharing plates, paellas and a good value ‘menu del dia’. The food hints towards a shortcut kitchen, with some items giving the impression of being pre-prepared or bought-in rather than freshly made on site, but it’s all hearty and pleasing, it arrives at your table in the blink of an eye, service is warm and efficient, and prices are reasonable for city centre dining. Café Andaluz is on to a crowd-pleasing formula and while it has a slight theme-parky feel, the whole experience is fun, filling and reasonable value.
- High point: A fast, furious and fun eatery that delivers exactly what you expect it to
- Low point: Some items on the menu hint at a shortcut approach in the kitchen
- Notable dish: Paella
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish-style pop
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle