St Vincent Bar
- Telephone 0131 225 7447
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2pm, 6–9pm; Fri–Sun noon–9pm
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.stvincentbar.com
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
‘The Vinnie’ has built a loyal following over the years, drawn by a cosy atmosphere, an array of draft ales supplemented by a guest option, an equally impressive range of bottled beers, and a wide choice of spirits. While some drinkers prefer to stand at the traditional wooden bar, there is ample comfortable bench seating, with the window table overlooking a cobbled street perhaps the most in demand. Food is now available seven days a week and has something to suit most tastes. Sandwiches served on warm artisan bread or tapas dishes to share should stave off the hunger pangs and won’t cause excessive damage to the wallet, while more substantial offerings include a choice of burgers such as The Vinnie, which is served with an unusual bloody mary relish. Other options include baked rainbow trout and a vegetarian-friendly aubergine and quinoa moussaka that’s brimming with flavour. Desserts or a selection of cheeses are available – but a malt whisky from the bar may be a preferable way to finish.
- High point: Cosy atmosphere, good ales
- Low point: Gaming machines not to everyone’s taste
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classics
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 15
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle