The Tailend Restaurant and Fish Bar
- Telephone 0131 555 3577
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £15 (evening meal)
- Typical order Fish supper: £6.50
- Website www.tailendedinburgh.co.uk
Half eat-in restaurant, half takeaway, specialising in seafood with a sideline in Italian.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Seafood aficionados should rightly be impressed by the impressive selection of species on offer here – the chippie staples of cod and haddock are joined by more exotic alternatives, such as scallops, monkfish and lemon sole. Equally, those seeking a change from the standard battered or bread-crumbed victims of the deep fat fryer will also be delighted to sample grilled or pan-fried alternatives, while there are also smoked incarnations, such as Finnan haddie, up for grabs. All in all it’s no surprise that it’s consistently hailed as one of the country's, not just the capital's, best chippies.
- High point: Fish, chips and batter all done to a T.
- Low point: Could have a greater commitment to sustainability
- Notable dish: Haddock supper
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Six of the Best - Eating & Drinking around Leith11 Jun 2009
The King’s Wark 36 The Shore, 0131 554 9260 Few things can make a foodie as happy as a portion of homemade fishcakes and frites courtesy of this granddaddy of the Leith eating scene. Oozing olde worlde charm, the Wark’s menu boasts everything from…