- Telephone 0131 555 6065
- Food served Mon–Fri 7.30am–5pm. Closed Sat/Sun.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.lacerise.biz
Leith café where practically everything, from soups and warm savouries, to ice-cream and cakes, is homemade.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This lovely corner spot on busy Great Junction Street beckons patrons inside to a cheery daytime eatery festooned in cherry and green. La Cerise is a family affair, where husband-and-wife team Martin and Claire Wilson prepare practically everything on offer themselves, from the soups, sandwiches and warm savouries, to the ice-creams, sorbets and cakes. And the care they put into their food shows. Hearty soups, such as potato and leek, are nourishing and tasty with nice pieces of both veg filling the bowl. Homemade chilli con carne, or one of many salads, top fluffy baked potatoes, while made-to-order sandwiches provide a lighter option. But it is probably the range of homemade cakes, ice-creams and sorbets that lure most inside. Lemon meringue, harnessing Claire’s dad’s lemons from the south of France, is truly tempting. Or wrestle with the rainbow of options in the ice-cream counter, with mango, strawberry, pistachio, chocolate and more to enjoy.
- High point: Choosing between home bakes and ice-creams
- Low point: Only open weekdays
- Notable dish: Homemade ice-creams and sorbets
- Delivery: Cakes only - If very local, delivery is free. If the other side of Edinburgh, a charge will be made. Setting up a new website to develop this side of business.
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classical
- Live entertainment: Occasionally a guitarist chum plays
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 2008
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…