The Hidden Lane Tearoom
- Telephone 0141 237 4391
- Opening times Mon–Fri 10am–5.30pm; Sat 10am–6pm; Sun noon–6pm.
- Seasonal times Closed 24 Dec–1 Jan.
- Food served Mon–Fri 10am–4.30pm; Sat 10am–5pm; Sun noon–5pm.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch)
- Website www.hiddenlanetearoom.com
Nestled in one of Glasgow’s artist-inhabited side streets, the distinctive and relaxed Hidden Lane offers a contemporary take on afternoon tea.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Sipping tea from bone china cups in a setting of patterned wallpaper, old typewriters and tiny, brightly coloured murals sounds quirky, but there’s nothing quaint or twee about Hidden Lane. This independent café feels contemporary and relaxed, perhaps because there’s such a varied mix of clientele, from families, artists and young professionals to ladies that lunch. Aside from the popular afternoon teas, Hidden Lane serves up a large breakfast menu, sandwiches and salads. The grilled goat’s cheese salad is light, nicely flavoured with a touch of balsamic, and served on a bed of flavoursome sun-dried tomatoes and fresh rocket. The selection of teas is comprehensive, and includes a milky, comforting peach Melba tea, refreshing Moroccan mint tea, and vanilla-infused winter spiced chai. The vibe is independent and distinctive, but with a polished attention to detail.
- High point: The obvious love of tea
- Low point: Salad lacking in size
- Notable dish: Afternoon tea
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Very mixed - staff choice!
- Capacity: 55 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: £3 corkage
Reviews & features
Hidden Lane Café-Gallery14 Aug 2008
The Hidden Lane doesn’t do location, location, location. Start in the ramshackle stretch of Argyle Street between Finnieston and Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery where there’s a growing and diverse range of small, independent bars and dining spots…