The Hidden Lane Tearoom
- Telephone 0141 237 4391
- Seasonal times Closed 24 Dec–1 Jan.
- Food served Mon–Fri 10am–4.30pm; Sat 10am–5pm; Sun noon–5pm.
- Average price £7.50 (set lunch)
- Website www.hiddenlanetearoom.com
Nestled in one of Glasgow’s artist-inhabited side streets, the distinctive and relaxed Hidden Lane offers a contemporary take on afternoon tea.
Tucked down a little cobbled street among brightly painted studios, the Hidden Lane Tearoom is a warm and welcoming place to spend an hour or two. Pretty bunting and prints decorate the walls and over 30 loose-leaf teas are served in vintage teapots and mismatched china. All the cakes – displayed temptingly on a large, old-fashioned dresser – are made on the premises, and can be sampled on their own or as part of the various Afternoon Teas. Try the ‘Luxury’ which consists of a large selection of finger sandwiches, five mini cakes, a mini scone with clotted cream and jam and unlimited tea or coffee for £15. For those watching their waistlines and pennies, there is the £6.50 ‘Wee Tea’. It’s worth heading here at breakfast, too (between 10am and noon), for avocado toast and waffles, or tuck in to hearty bowls of soup and sandwiches for lunch.
- High point: Friendly staff and wonderful cakes
- Low point: Usually very busy, so best to book
- Notable dish: The 'secret recipe scones' with cream and jam
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Very mixed - staff choice!
- Capacity: 55 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2010
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: £3 wine corkage
Reviews & features
Hidden Lane Café-Gallery14 Aug 2008
The Hidden Lane doesn’t do location, location, location. Start in the ramshackle stretch of Argyle Street between Finnieston and Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery where there’s a growing and diverse range of small, independent bars and dining spots…