- Telephone 0131 225 1233
- Opening times Will open bar at different times for groups or wine tastings by prior request
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–6pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–6pm (finish by 7.30pm)
- Average price £11 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11
- Website www.calistoga.co.uk
Californian dining with a heavy focus on wine, featuring tastings, events and a bottle shop on the side.
Californian restaurant Calistoga is as much about the wine as the food. With an in-house wine shop (called Sideways, from the film – viewing would be great prep for a visit), it hosts regular wine events with tastings led by visiting experts. Or book a wine tasting dinner and, for a very reasonable sum, their wine tutor will take you for an entertaining, educational and extremely enjoyable nose round Napa et al before dinner. As for the food, an always-interesting monthly-changing menu showcases the state’s cuisine – just don’t expect burgers. Proceedings may start with rabbit ballotine with dabs of wasabi mayo and wee squares of pumpernickel, or swordfish with burnt ketchup and avocado gel. Move onto cod fillet enlivened with squid tempura, smoked avocado and chilli mousse, or braised ox cheek with ox tongue croquette. For dessert traybake-style, there’s raspberry and cranberry flapjack, or dark chocolate kulfi, while there’s always suggestions for pairing wines - from California, of course.
- High point: Excellent value personally tutored wine tasting
- Low point: Don’t say you prefer Lambrusco
- Private dining: 4 rooms: 18, 18 (or combined 34), 12 and 40
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Californian radio
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £14 per bottle