- Telephone 0131 225 1233
- Opening times Will open bar at different times for groups or wine tastings by prior request
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–6pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–6pm (finish by 7.30pm)
- Average price £11 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11
- Website www.calistoga.co.uk
Californian dining with a heavy focus on wine, featuring tastings, events and a bottle shop on the side.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This one’s a gem – and an almost hidden one at that. On the lane behind Rose Street, between Frederick and Castle Street, most people don’t know Calistoga is there – it feels like a real treasure when you track it down. Calistoga is a Californian restaurant (named after Robert Louis Stevenson’s honeymoon spot north-west of Napa) with Sideways wine store attached (named after the wine roadtrip movie). Lovers of fine wines should do themselves a favour and book an informal Wine Tasting Dinner (starting at £34, for four excellent wines to taste before a very good-value three course dinner) or one of their Winemaker’s Dinners (meet and greet the growers, and geek out on wines). The selection of organic, small batch, unusual and delicious wines is impressive, as are the prices. Liquids aside, the cooking is memorable too. Scottish produce is carefully selected and given a Californian spin; tender braised beef is served in dainty spring rolls with an Asian chilli dipping sauce, a gourmet macaroni cheese is pepped up with jalapeños, clams are drizzled in a fantastically salty caper sauce and the coconut and basil mousse is presented with a miniature serving of pineapple salsa.
- High point: Wine heaven, and the dining’s mighty fine too
- Low point: Cobbled streets and upstairs toilets won’t suit wheelchairs
- Notable dish: Monkfish wrapped in parma ham with cockles in a caper butter sauce
- Private dining: 4 rooms: 18, 18 (or combined 34), 12 and 40
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Californian radio
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 25
- House wine: £14 per bottle