- Telephone 0131 225 1233
- Opening times Will open bar at different times for groups or wine tastings by prior request
- Seasonal times Open longer during festival. Closed Sun in January.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–2.30pm, 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6pm (finish by 7.30pm)
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12 (same as lunch. £16 for three-courses)
- Website www.calistoga.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
The unassuming location on a lane off Rose Street doesn’t prepare you for what awaits within – which is a true experience. Offering a taste and snapshot of the Californian lifestyle, over 100 wines from the area populate the recently refurbished restaurant’s wine list. Calistoga’s wine tastings are a great way to experience the best of both their food and wine offerings. These start with the Congressional tasting, including a guided tasting of four wines and a three-course meal. At £32 a head, it’s excellent value, as is their two-course lunch/pre-theatre menu. The regularly changing menu is a fusion of all-American and pan-Asian flavours. From the starters, spiced lamb wontons with cucumber raita perfectly balance the richness of the meat with the light, refreshing qualities of the raita. From the mains, lemon and garlic chicken is delicate yet packed with flavour and the sweet chilli sauce is a world away from the pre-packaged version that is so often expected. If you’ve room left, round things off with comforting doughnuts and coffee ice-cream. Calistoga really is a hidden gem.
- High point: Sophisticated yet unpretentious ambience
- Low point: Location could lead to it being overlooked
- Notable dish: Menu rotates. Handcraft Petite Sirah wine is unusual but reasonably priced and delicious.
- Private dining: (4) 12/2x16/32
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: easy listening / pop
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2008 (from 2004 in original location)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Calistoga./5 from RSS feed of these comments