- Telephone 0131 225 1233
- Opening times Will open bar at different times for groups or wine tastings by prior request
- Seasonal times Closed Sun Jan/Feb.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Sun 12.30–2.30pm, 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6pm (finish by 7.30pm)
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £26 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12 (same as lunch. £16 for three-courses)
- Website www.calistoga.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Let’s just put it out there: this is never going to be the plushest venue in town. But get over it, because here is a restaurant that’s not so much hitting its stride as redefining it. Owner Gordon Minnis cheerfully admits that in Calistoga’s ten years his menu has moved from ‘Californian with Scottish influences’ to ‘Scottish with Californian influences’ and that’s a thing of joy. It puts a meltingly tender lamb shank centre stage, with cumin and Zinfandel notes providing a very able back-up. A smoked chicken chowder feels like a clever twist on Cullen skink, while the accompanying rice crackers add a witty dash of texture. Albondigas – spicy meatballs – are perhaps less refined, but still delicious and warming. In short, the food’s all good, and with the fruits of an exceptional Californian cellar available at a mere £5 mark-up, the value’s tremendous too. Definitely try one of the short wine tastings which can be bolted on to your meal – they're informal, informative and a great way to build knowledge of the product as well as increase enjoyment of the wine list later on.
- High point: That wine list
- Low point: Not a lot of choice for veggies
- Notable dish: Seared tuna
- Private dining: (4) 12/2x16/32
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Cali radio
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 52
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 21
- House wine: £14 per bottle
California Wine Tour
An informal, guided wine tasting and chat based on the Calistoga team's recent two-week tour of California. Drop in any time between 5.30pm and 8pm Full ticket money will be refunded on tasters dinner bill for that evening.
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Calistoga./5 from RSS feed of these comments