- Telephone 01236 829200
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–9.30pm; Fri/Sat 8am–10pm; Sun 8am–9pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.boathousekilsyth.com
While walkers and cyclists on Scotland's canals are well catered for, opportunities to dine are harder to find. Townhouse Restaurants are to be applauded for grabbing two prime spots for their attractive and welcoming bar-restaurants, at the Falkirk Wheel and this one at Auchinstarry Marina, on the Forth and Clyde Canal. The Boathouse is pitched just right, with food, décor and service of such a level that a visit feels a bit special – enhanced by the view of canalboats bobbing in the marina – yet it is easy-going enough to attract ramblers, pedallers and families. Overnight accommodation means food starts early with full breakfasts and eggs various ways, then on to well-handled dishes with a strong Scottish flavour, from Cullen skink and Stornoway black pudding to haggis options and Lanarkshire's own Soave's ice-cream (available to-go), plus various global offerings. A good selection of steaks include a chateaubriand, for those imagining they stepped off a yacht and straight onto the Boathouse's expansive decking area – a great spot (climate permitting) for a pre-dinner drink.
- No. overnight rooms: 10
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 150
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15 per bottle