The Terrace Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 557 3222
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm
- Average price £26 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.royalterracehotel.co.uk
Situated on one of the grandest Georgian streets in Edinburgh is the dining-room of the Royal Terrace Hotel. The concise menu features some interesting ideas that lift it above the usual brasserie fare. For starters the soft sweetness of the scallops is contrasted with the crispy texture of pigs’ cheeks, and the seared pheasant breast is perfectly paired with a walnut vinaigrette. All the food is presented beautifully: dashes of mushroom jus decorate the pan-fried cod which is perched on very smooth garlic mashed potatoes. The pork fillet and roasted belly are both well flavoured, succulent pieces of meat skilfully cooked. Desserts such as warm orange pudding are of the same high standard, although the brandy is hard to detect in the apple and calvados cheesecake. Also on offer are a good pre-theatre deal and set-price dinner. The only downside is the room itself: the décor is drab and uninspired, with the flat atmosphere of a hotel restaurant, which is a shame as the cooking is worthy of the AA Rosettes it has won.
- High point: Great presentation
- Low point: The food deserves a better room
Hidden in a Georgian town house The Terrace Brasserie is a secret gem on the Royal Terrace, just a short walk from the Playhouse it’s the perfect place to spend summer days.
This unique restaurant boasts direct access to beautiful sunny gardens where we provide al fresco dining and barbeques.
With its dark oak tables and modern décor The Terrace Brasserie is the perfect dining venue for any occasion. Wonderfully intimate with only ten tables, the restaurant provides professional service along with mouth watering meals.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 106
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Looped radio hits
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle