Henricks Bar & Bistro
- Telephone 0131 229 2442
- Seasonal times Late licence for Edinburgh Festivals/festive period
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10am–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 10am–9.30pm; Fri–Sat 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–7pm
- Average price £12.50 (set lunch); £16.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.henricksbar.com
Relaxed Meadows-side bar with a good wine list and cheery service; popular option for families or pre-theatre crowd.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Refurbished in early 2016, new lighting and flooring and a lick of paint have given this venue a warmer, brighter, feel while retaining a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. Catering to a broad market, including family groups, locals and theatregoers, the menu straddles the pub and bistro genres. Haggis bonbons, fish and chips or well-flavoured burgers will keep the comfort food brigade happy while salmon terrine, gnocchi or witch sole should appeal to those wanting something lighter. Desserts are more adventurous; peanut butter parfait is pleasingly light though a salted maple panacotta with pecan ‘jam’ is perhaps less well judged. There’s a strong emphasis on high quality drinks, with a good selection of cocktails, gins and whiskies and a keenly priced wine list which includes helpful descriptions of the varietals available. Wine buffs should note that Henricks hosts regular wine society evenings, winery dinners and whisky and cigar evenings.
- High point: Menu to suit most tastes and a wine list to match
- Low point: Food doesn't always hit the high notes
- Notable dish: Haggis bonbons rolled in toasted oats, with a tomato jam and chilli jelly
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic soundtracks, indie
- Live entertainment: Occasional wine tastings, whisky and cigar or cocktail evenings
- Capacity: 55 (10 outdoors)
- Largest group: 20 (or whole venue hire)
- Open since: 2006 (2010 under current owners)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 23
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle